Many people do not realize that the majority of adults past middle age have lost at least a single tooth to gum disease, tooth decay, or an injury. Statistics show that by the time we reach our 70s, it is very likely that we have lost all of our teeth. A tooth implant can be very effective for replacing missing teeth and improving your oral health. If you have lost a tooth for any reason, schedule a consultation with Dr. Pierce Osborne, Dr. Michael Curry, and Dr. Wes Shelton to determine which tooth replacement procedure is right for you in Arkansas.
Dangers of Bridges and Partials
Even though many dentists recommend bridges and partials to replace missing teeth, these procedures are not without some complications. Some of the drawbacks of these procedures include:
- May cause some degree of bone loss
- Can make it difficult to eat and speak clearly
- May increase tooth sensitivity
- Can become loose or uncomfortable
- Can increase the risk of further tooth loss
- Can increase the risk of dental issues such as decay
Tooth Replacement in Arkansas
If you have lost a single tooth or several teeth because of gum disease or other oral health problems, consider the benefits of a tooth implant for your tooth replacement procedure instead of bridges or dentures. If you do not have missing adult teeth replaced, you could end up losing bone in the jaw.
The Domino Effect of Missing Teeth
A single tooth can cause several oral health issues because the teeth are designed to work together. When one tooth goes missing, other teeth may start to shift and endure more stress. Over time, this can result in a misaligned bite and leave you with damage to remaining teeth. The domino effect can also lead to complications such as:
- Impaired mastication
- You may need to limit your diet to certain foods because it becomes difficult to chew.
- Bone loss
- Underlying bone can deteriorate without stimulation from tooth roots.
- Bite breakdown
- You may experience a vertical collapse, as certain areas of the mouth are under stress.
- Changes in facial structure
- Missing adult teeth can give your cheeks a ‘sunken in’ appearance.
To maintain proper oral and general health, it is vital to replace any missing adult teeth as soon as possible. For more information about tooth implant procedures in Arkansas, schedule your consultation with Dr. Osborne, Dr. Curry, or Dr. Shelton today.