If you are at risk for periodontal disease and are noticing signs of gum recession, make sure you are taking steps to prevent further damage to the gums. Receding gums are just one of the side effects of gum disease but can also be the result of using the wrong tooth brushing technique, certain lifestyle habits, and teeth grinding. However, there are several things you can do to prevent receding gums and maintain optimal oral health. Dr. Pierce Osborne, Dr. Michael Curry, and Dr. Wes Shelton can help you prevent gum recession in Arkansas.
Stop Receding Gums in Arkansas
If you are concerned about gum recession or are experiencing some of the side effects of other oral health issues, our doctors can make a recommendation for treatment that will restore your oral health and your smile.
Some tips to prevent gum recession:
- Use the right tooth brushing technique. Applying too much pressure or using the wrong type of toothbrush can damage the gums permanently.
- Avoid clenching and grinding the teeth. Bruxism can damage the gums permanently, so breaking habits that wear down the gums can preserve your oral health.
- Seek treatment for bite misalignment. Crooked teeth or a misaligned bite can put pressure on some parts of the mouth and cause damage to the tissues.
- Refrain from using tobacco products. Smoking and chewing tobacco can negatively impact the gum tissue and increase the risk of gum recession.
- Wear a nightguard. You can protect your gums and teeth while sleeping by wearing a nightguard.
We can provide more information about gum recession prevention and treatment options in Arkansas during your consultation. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Osborne, Dr. Curry, and Dr. Shelton today!